Sunday, September 24, 2017

I was tempted but resisted


I was tempted, really,
for a few moments, I put it in my cart
even thinking how easy it would be to pull a 
pre-moistened towelette from the shiny plastic 
dispenser and press the four corners into 
the neatly cut slits.
I would remove it from its plastic packaging,
the kind that must be cut with a sharp pair of scissors,
the material that goes in a landfill and never goes
away, it will be there for future generations 
to ponder at our wastefulness.
I decided against it.
I put it back on the shelf.
I went home and pulled out my decades old
mop handle, the original covers long gone.
I covered the base with an old kitchen towel,
secured it with clothespins, sprayed 
some cleaner made with baking soda
on the floor and mopped.
The floor was beautifully clean.

No comments: