Monday, May 21, 2018

our house seems so small


I was perfectly happy until I laid eyes on the chateau
in distance, up on the hill, they looked down
onto their fields of wheat and pasture.
clouds drifted by overhead, a cool shadow
occasionally protected the farmers from the heat
of the sun.
my life, all of a sudden, seemed so constrained
in that tiny little house where a small dog seems
to take up all the space and breathes all the fresh air.
there is limitless fresh air here, sun, wind, grapes 
ripening in the sun, the people up there are holding
large glasses of sumptuous red wine and eating
freshly baked baguettes and pungent cheeses.
my life seems so small, so constrained, working in 
small boxy office buildings looking at computer screens.
I'm sure I was meant to be here, dressed in fantastic dresses
and elegant shoes, drinking wine and eating pungent cheeses,
what did I do wrong to live with dog who breathes all the
fresh air and where I have to shop for my own food.

No comments: