Friday, March 19, 2021

IndieGoGo fundraiser for Chef Academy Senegal

how could anyone not want to help them,
these beautiful young women, bursting with energy,
facing a lifetime of hand laundry and child rearing.
I jump to help them and can only imagine my friends
jumping, too, but 
somehow
we are seem to be stuck in our own little worlds
and few will click the button 
to change a woman's life half way
around the world.

You can donate at this link. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-build-chef-academy-senegal

Why Senegal? I originally visited Senegal to find Ameth, a boy I had supported for 10 years through a charitable Non-Government Organization (NGO).  After he aged out of the program and communication through the NGO was terminated, I became somewhat obsessed with finding him. I started cold contacting hundreds of strangers on FaceBook in Senegal who might help me, with nothing more than an outdated picture and his all-too common name. Miraculously, we were united for the first time in a dusty courtyard at his school, in a small city about 150 miles from Dakar.

We were delighted to see each other, yet ...he seemed defeated by life. After a delicious lunch with the whole family and assorted neighbors, I got to thinking about how to help him and his family. With modest support from me, Ameth today is unrecognizable from the boy I met that day.  Where once he was sullen and defeated, basically illiterate, he is now teaching me his native language, Wolof, speaks French fluently and is learning Italian in Milan while visiting his father. I also provided modest funds to his mother to start her own small business. In Dakar, Casamance, St. Louis, I met a cross-section of Senegalese people, from tailors to artists, mothers, young people looking for work. I was impressed by their dignity, in spite of their hardships.

People often muse that they don’t know how to contribute positively to the big issues of today – poverty, inequality, racism, etc. It takes less than you think, from my experience. And giving support is so powerful. I can assure you that your donation will directly aid young Senegalese women. I appreciate all that you can give.

I’m hoping to go back to Senegal in January 2022 to look at land, meet local leaders to share thoughts about the project.  I’m looking forward to it! And my Ameth...I don’t know whether he will be back in Senegal, so maybe I will have to hop up to Milan!

There is a lot of information about the project when you select DONATE. You can also visit our website  Chef Academy Senegal Website.   If you don’t want to use the electronic option, you can also send a check to Chef Academy Senegal or Venmo me and I’ll send it on.  Chef Academy Senegal, 17605 E. 110th Way, Commerce City, CO  80022.  My Venmo handle is @Genevieve-Devaud.

Many thanks in advance!  


No comments: