Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Not Just Any Job at McGuckin Hardware


Not just any Job at McGuckin Hardware

It can’t be any job at McGuckin's,
it has to be in the fasteners department.
Do you know that I brought a screw over
there and the guy looked it over
and said this must be from a late
80’s car, exhaust manifold, because it needs to
be this grade of steel to handle the heat?
And when I said it was from my Volvo
he said he had guessed as much.

That’s why I want to work at McGuckin’s,
but not any department.
It has to be the fastener department.
Maybe when I finish my degree I can work
there for the summer before getting a
real job, or continuing to graduate school.
And maybe later, too, when I retire.
All this said with complete solemnity.
Of course, I said, I couldn’t agree more.

1 comment:

Bike Bubba said...

Well said; those guys were incredible. You paid for it, but they were incredible.