Monday, June 1, 2009

Writing Letters


I used to write letters
on scented paper, sealing
them with melted wax
stamped with my initials,
and wait at my mailbox for
a reply, opening the letter
with excitement, hoping it’s
a long letter I can savor
while sitting on my porch, the
swing in the backyard, or in the
playhouse in the back yard.
I miss those days when
the mailbox yielded that special
envelope, that familiar handwriting,
the excitement, the pleasure of
opening the envelope, I still hope to
see a long letter I can savor
in my chair upstairs, reading a bit,
then watching the people walk
by the garden, and reading some more.
I still write letters, mostly on the back
of office paper, folded into thirds
to fit into a standard envelope,
but I know my recipient loves
to open my letters, hoping to see
that it is a long letter she can
savor over a cup of chamomile
tea before she falls to sleep
at the end of her day.


No comments: