Thursday, March 14, 2013

stay calm and carry on

the poster always has a sketch of a crown
that I assume is for the queen, we don't tell
men to stay calm and carry on
no one pushes back when they forge ahead,
jaw pushed forward, nostrils flaring, bellowing,
he's just having a bad day.
no, we, the gentler sex, have to stay calm and
carry on, smiling back at agression, staying
focused on moving the target so lightly he
does not notice until he is where we need him
to be, oh this skill is learned over my lifetime,
my wish is that my daughter does not need to
teach it to her daughter.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Stay (keep) Calm and Carry On has always seemed more sarcastic or ironic than than an sexist scold to me. Very British, very stiff upper lip and all. No offense intended.

Genevieve said...

That's because you are a man in a man's world. Men don't get this message all their lives. It may be British, too.