Thursday, September 10, 2015

starvation has set in: Bella's point of view

I am lying listlessly on the sofa
letting my eyes roll and droop while I watch
out of half closed eyes to make sure they're watching.
they'll see that I'm starving, that my fur is falling out
and my energy has ebbed to near death levels,
my heart is beating more rapidly, I feel weak
and I'm sure I've lost 50% of my body mass.
mom is mean, but dad must surely notice
that "his little girl" is starving with only
1/4 cup each of wet and dry food twice a day.
I don't even get table scraps anymore beyond
a thin slime of gravy on a plate before it's loaded
into the dishwasher.
they aren't noticing, my dad's legs are up next
to my head and he's watching TV instead of me.
oh, woe to me and them that this diet is killing me
even though the scale at the vet's shows
I haven't lost a single ounce,
much less a pound.

No comments: