Thursday, September 4, 2008

Searching for Words


Searching for Words

The clerk was barely visible
behind the stack of tattered books,
his eyes large from behind coke bottle glasses.
Do you have any thesarauri, I asked tentatively.
He looked kind of scary.
We picked our way through
the store, arriving at the “bookcase
with dictionaries and such” where
he pointed at two thesauri from the
40s and walked away silently.
I studied all the possibilities, comparing
entries for “Heartbreaking”, “nonconformity”
and “enormous”, settling on the 21st century
volume, appropriate for the times.
I found the clerk, barely visible behind his
stack of books, his large eyes staring at me
from behind his coke-bottle lenses.
I exchanged a few tattered bills for 450,000 synonyms

1 comment:

frizatch said...

I read an article once on how Roget's Thesaurus ruined the english language...there (hopefully) is no such thing as a TRUE synonym.