Saturday, September 20, 2008

Thanksgiving plans..or lack thereof


Thanksgiving Plans..or lack thereof

I called to ask him what he was planning
for Thanksgiving and would he want to
eat turkey and stuffing and all the fixin’s
with me. Even though I had Thanksgiving
dinner in January with my friends, it’s not
the same as Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving
with those you love, especially children and maybe
one day, grandchildren. They don’t eat turkey
on Thanksgiving, in Mexico or Costa Rica,
not even in Turkey. And he said he
didn’t know yet, but that he wanted to be
in San Francisco, and if I wanted to be away
on Thanksgiving, that would be fine with him.
I felt sad when I hung up the phone, because
eating turkey any other day than Thanksgiving,
even with people you love in a different sort of
way than you love your children, is not the
same as eating turkey with your children,
and maybe one day, your grandchildren.

No comments: