Friday, October 3, 2008

Eulogy to Snowflake


Eulogy to Snowflake

He was never much of a leader, but
he had keen ears and was the first to hear
the crinkling of a paper wrapper and corral
his female companion to head that way.
Nipping at her heels, he’d make sure
she cleared the way, only dashing in
front of her when food was in plain sight.
He sure knew how to charm the ladies.
Dapper in his white coat and grey ears,
he’d run upstairs to visit Daisy,
while Butterscotch fumed below.
When he finally hopped back downstairs,
there was hell to pay.
Fur flew everywhere, more white than brown,
I might add.
When Butterscotch died, he was more than
a little interested in the brunette upstairs
and requested a meeting on neutral ground
in the kitchen, where she showed him who’s
boss and he happily transitioned from widower
to married once again.
Now Daisy is alone and she runs on
her own quickly to the sound of crinkling
of a paper wrapper, only now it is
just me who makes sure the path
is clear.

Karen and I adopted Snowflake and Butterscotch when they were babies March 20, 1999. They were probably born in January of that year. They lived very happily until Butterscotch died in March of 2007. I had another rabbit, Daisy, who I had never been able to bond with another rabbit. Daisy and Snowflake bonded beautifully after Butterscotch died, and Daisy was never so happy as with Snowflake. Daisy and I will both miss Snowflake very much. He was a very special bunny.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh, little snowflake. I'm so sorry to hear that. I send you and Daisy lots of love.

Love, Tracy

Cecile said...

I am so sorry to hear about snowflake. You have all my thoughts and love.
Cecile

Anonymous said...

Snowflake brought you 10 years of love and laughter. (Not counting the coffee table and rug.) My condolences to you and Daisy.

Love,
Carrie