Sunday, April 11, 2010

Doggin' it up to Jamestown

I ponder the electrical behavior of sodium ions
in window glass as I watch Sharon’s blue
jersey disappear around the bend. 
(and when I’ll actually sit down to
write that paper because I know I’ll
need to sleep after this ride.)
She slows down  to let me catch up;
we discuss the merits of
women’s colleges, tuition costs
and Spring training in Tucson.
It’s amazing how a tiny amount of
impurity dramatically affects the work
function of a surface and how it then
interacts with other materials in contact.
Sharon slows down again and I tell
her I’m hungry and want to eat a pancake.
I wonder how badly the forests will be
affected by the pine beetle, and I
hope that it’s not going to be so bad
as on the other side of the Divide,
and can’t wait to eat one of those
blueberry pancakes, and I’m not sure
when I’ll write that paper that’s due
Wednesday when I haven’t even
started, but if I can get all the way
to Jamestown, I’ll call the day
a success.

No comments: