Saturday, January 15, 2022

Taking on Wolof, shopping...

I managed to shop for my breakfast items on my own, in Wolof.  The eggs here are stored at room temperature..in the U.S.  we wash them and so they have to be refrigerated.  An egg here costs 100 CFA, which is 17 cents.  A baguette is about 25 cents, an apple 17 cents and a small bag of yogurt is also 17 cents.  I have butter in my frig (part of a package, not a full package) and some cow's milk.  I forget what those cost.  I cook the eggs in the electric kettle.

18 january 2021:  More comfortable now and can even go to shop where they only speak Wolof. For lunch, I bought half a load of baguette, an already hard boiled egg, 8 single serve coffee packets, 750 francs, about one dollar or so...

 Makale has taught me to to get change - no, you don't go to a bank!  You just go to small businesses and say begg na wietiet (not sure of spelling).  If they have some, they will give you change, or they will respond "amul" which means there is not any. 





No comments: