Sunday, April 28, 2019

I found the tourists

They are not in Dakar.  They are at Ile de Ngor.  Lots of cute little hotels, surfing schools and a beautiful beach.  Badou and I took a pirogue across the water from the Dakar beach with about 30 other people and had lunch at a beachside cafe.  Badou purchased some new flip flops for himself after extensive negotiation.  He had been wearing his mothers old flip flops, so they were a good 2" too short.  I had to laugh - this big strapping young man wearing his mother's flip flops....
I finally got to watch some really hot surfers off the coast - all tourists.  The Senegalese do not surf.  They fish instead. 

Pascal and his family were to arrive around 8 p.m. to join us for dinner.  They showed up around 9 pm and then Saliou took off to a restaurant to get some food.  He came back with food and Iba.  I have to admit that their meat is kind of gross.  There are unknown pieces of brown tissue that range from gristly to grossly soft.  I guess it's an acquired taste.  I found out later that the restaurant was out of fish and chicken.  This is what was left....We started eating around 10 p.m. and I finally shoo'ed everyone out around 12:30 am.  My schedule of sleeping/eating is way off but somehow it's worked out ok.  I just pass out on a less regular schedule, but I do pass out when I need to.

Pascal and Daniel hung out together 15 years ago when Daniel was here.  Daniel was 18 at the time.  I took a picture of us and sent it to Daniel.  ; )














No comments: